3D printing resources for WA science laboratories in primary schools
This information has been created for Western Australia public primary schools that are successful recipients of the Western Australian Curriculum Support funds.
Each selected school will have a permanent classroom converted into a science laboratory and has been allocated $25,000 to purchase equipment and resources to support their whole-school science programs. This can include 3D printers and related resources.
Interested in integrating 3D printing into your school as an authentic learning tool? Follow the following guide for best results.
3D printing equipment and resources
To properly fit out your primary school’s laboratory with 3D printers and resources, you will need the following:
– Equipment – 3D printer(s). Budget $500 – $2000 per 3D printer.
– Equipment – 3D printer consumables i.e. 3D printing filament. Budget $40-50 per a roll. One roll lasts about a month with normal use.
– Resources – 3D printer training and professional development for teachers
– Resources – 3D printer support
– Resources – 3D printer support material
– Resources – 3D printing lesson plans and ideas for teachers to integrate 3D printing into the curriculum
– Resources – 3D design software. 3D printers do not come with design software so your school will need seperate design software
Things to consider before you buy
There are many 3D printers on the market but not all are suitable for use in a primary school. Primary schools have different learning environments, younger students and dedicated primary school teachers.
It is a good idea to have:
– Easy to use 3D design software that K-8 students can design with
– 3D printers that are easy-to-use, reliable, enclosed and with air filtration
– Filament – choose PLA which is a non-toxic corn starch based consumable suitable for school environment
– Provide teacher resources so teachers can integrate 3D printing into the curriculum rather than treat it as a once-off class activity
– Provide training to teachers on how to use 3D printers and provide access to support
– Provide professional development
Why Makers Empire?
Makers Empire understands what 3D printers and resources are needed for schools to successfully integrate 3D printing into the curriculum. Backed by our learning team, we’ll strive to ensure your implementation is a success.
Makers Empire 3D, the world’s easiest to use 3D modeling software, has been specifically designed to be fun and intuitive for primary school aged children to use. Our holistic approach to integrating 3D design and printing into primary school classes includes hardware training, expert teacher resources and unparalleled support.
Makers Empire is a world leader in developing 3D design and printing resources for primary schools. Our experience ranges from helping individual schools to state-wide programs, and everything in-between, so you can be sure we have the expertise to help your school.
Makers Empire’s Lesson Plan Library contains 45 lesson plans with a Science component, across grades from kindergarten to grade 8. All lesson plans have been created by experienced classroom teachers and aligned to the Australian curriculum.
Popular lesson plans include:
– Windy City: students learn about sustainable wind power as they create a town made out of 3D printed houses with lights powered by wind energy
– Natural Disasters: students use 3D design and printing to create solutions to problems created by natural disasters
– Colourful Bubbles: students learn about light as they create and use 3D printed bubble wands
– Which Herb is That?: students learn about growing herbs in their school garden and the create and print out 3D printed herb markers to use
– Keeping Your Cool: students learn about insulation and how to keep various food stuffs from spoiling by keeping them chilled at the correct temperature.
Browse the full Lesson Plan Library, with over 130 lesson plans, here.
What teachers say
Makers Empire WA Science Lab Package
The Makers Empire WA Science Lab 3D Package is tailored to WA schools interested in introducing 3D design and printing to their school as part of the Western Australian Curriculum Support fund. With our online hardware training, in-app and in-website chats and prompt email and telephone support, help is always at hand!
This packages includes:
– 3 x Up Mini 2 printers with air filtration system – safe for schools!
– 5kg PLA premium filament, non-toxic
– Shipping to your school
Access to Makers Empire’s award winning 3D design and printing resources:
– Makers Empire 3D design software
– Hardware training and support via video call
– Over 130 curriculum aligned lesson plans
– Teachers dashboard – makes organising classes easy
Buy Now online for $4,499(+GST)
Purchase the ‘Makers Empire WA Science Lab 3D Package’ now and save up to $1,499!
($999 bundle savings + additional $500 discount when purchased online).
After you have made your purchase, your order will be placed and delivered to your school. Our learning team will contact you to organise a time to complete training via video call and to provide additional advice to support your school’s implementation plan.
Request a quotation
Prefer a quotation so that you can raise a Purchase Order? Please click the button below:
If you have any questions you can start an online chat with us at the bottom chat circle or email us at email@example.com, subject: “WA Science Laboratory – your school name”.