Carol Dweck’s mindset research is widely recognised around the world. Educators and leaders wanting to improve learning outcomes for all students are sitting up and taking notice of Dweck’s extensive body of work.
Dweck has identified two mindsets that help explain how students see themselves as learners and influence how they behave as learners. With a fixed mindset, people believe their basic qualities such as intelligence or talent, are fixed entities that they can’t change. With a growth mindset, people believe that their intelligence, talents and abilities can be developed through persistence, effort and hard work.
Dweck tells us that people with a growth mindset are more likely to exhibit positive learning behaviours such as:
- accepting and embracing challenges
- seeing mistakes as learning opportunities
- seeking and listening to feedback
- persevering with difficult tasks
- practicing and using strategies to improve
- asking questions to drive learning forward
- taking risks and trying new things
How can we encourage students to develop a growth mindset?
Makers Empire’s 3D solutions — Makers Empire 3D modelling app, Makers Empire School Subscription and Makers Empire Custom Courses for Schools — provide an ideal learning environment to support and encourage the development of a growth mindset.
Here are our top ten design questions teachers can ask students to help promote a growth mindset.
1. Something went wrong? Great! How can you use this mistake to improve your design?
2. Finished? Really? Have you put in the effort to achieve a result you are proud of?
3.Stuck? Awesome! What can you try next? What other ways might there be?
4.Not happy with your design? Fantastic! Who can you seek feedback from to make your design better?
5. Want to break the rules? Excellent! What new ideas will you try? What risks will you take?
6. Finding it tricky? Wonderful! What will you practice to get better? What strategies will you use?
7. Not the best? Brilliant! Who can you learn more from?
8. Don’t know what to do? Terrific! How will you tackle this challenge?
9. Easy? Right! How can we make this more challenging for you?
10. Proud of your design? Congratulations! Where to next? What are your goals?
Mandi Dimitriadis, DipT. is an experienced classroom teacher who recognises the power of technology to enhance teaching and improve educational outcomes. Mandi has extensive experience with curriculum development and learning, having previously developed programs for the Australian Government’s Department of Education. She is passionate about Design Thinking and how best to prepare today’s students for the future.
Makers Empire: Better learning by design
Makers Empire helps K-8 teachers teach STEM/STEAM concepts, design thinking principles and 21st century learning skills using 3D printing. Our pioneering 3D solutions for schools — 3D Learning Program and Learning by Design Course — include 3D modelling software, over 100 curriculum-aligned lesson plans and professional development. Makers Empire is used by thousands of teachers and hundreds of thousands of students in Australia, the USA, Asia and Europe. Join our community today!
- Buy online with a credit card or request a quotation.
- Test quality, suitability and ease of use with a free trial.
- Choose the solutions that's right for your school or schools.