Bushfire Kids Connect, Makers Empire and Growing With Gratitude are joining forces in 2024 to deliver a pioneering and engaging program designed to promote awareness of natural disasters and encourage resilience and empathy in students. The Naturally Brave Learning by Design program is planned to be delivered to 20 New South Wales and 20 South Australian schools. This opportunity is limited so register your school’s expression of interest today.
Naturally Brave Project Aims
● Help students understanding their highest potential disaster risk in their local community context and creating a ‘disaster reduction risk action plan’ responsive to their location.
● Help students to be well-informed and understand why natural disasters happen, how they are controlled, their impact on the environment, and approaches to disaster management that promote sustainability. Indigenous land management is at the forefront of this project as we understand the importance of the WHY, WHERE, HOW of natural disasters in South Australia.
● Support students’ emotional wellbeing by teaching skills; including: ownership and a focus on service to others (volunteering in their community), self-awareness, gratitude, empathy and kindness, as well as coping strategies in an evacuation.
● Empower students as problem solvers and creative designers who can make a difference in their families’ lives. Students will use the design thinking problem-solving methodology and 3D design to create solutions to help during an evacuation such as packing a bag, helping mum and dad, protecting animals etc.
What Do Schools Receive?
Selected schools will receive a package worth a total of $8,500 comprising:
- 2+ teachers will participate in the Makers Empire Learning By Design program
- 1 x 12 months Makers Empire School Subscription (3D design software, teacher dashboard, 130 curriculum-aligned lesson plans, built-in assessment, professional development (PD), ongoing support, updates and maintenance).
- Access to the Naturally Brave Challenge Course in the Makers Empire 3D App. challenge course.
- 1 x Flashforge Adventurer 4 Pro 3D printer, 5 rolls of PLA filament, support, training ands shipping.
- Print credits to Makers Empire 3D print bureau.
- Hospitality for PD days and Showcase Days
- 12-month subscription to the Growing With Gratitude fully resourced online program, which includes lessons, activities, games, display posters and more to help support student wellbeing.
- A copy of Growing With Gratitude: Building Resilience, Happiness & Mental Wellbeing in Our Schools & Homes for each staff member of a school.
What Do Schools Commit To?
- Provide release for 2.5 days for 2-5 participating classroom teachers (not IT technicians or non-teaching staff).
- Project to start with teachers attending 1 face-to-face professional learning day in Term 2, week 9 or 10* (schools cover TRT expenses). Students will then commence the project in Term 3. Project completion with teachers and students attending a Showcase Day in Term 4, week 7 or 8* (schools arrange transport and cover TRT expenses).
- Support capacity building of teachers through facilitation of ‘flow-on’ professional learning at their sites.
- Attend 1 face-to-face professional learning day in your state in term 2, week 9 or 10, 2024.
- Participate in professional learning communities.
- Year 3-7 students complete a ready-made, in-app Challenge Course – approx. 4-5 lessons. The Challenge Course is based around Natural Disaster awareness and wellness.
Attend, with nominated students, the Showcase Day (1/2 day) in Term 4, week 7 or 8 in your state.
- Participate in data collection and share their learning experiences with others.
Register Your Expression of Interest Now
This project is planned to run in term 2-4, 2024 with strictly limited spots for schools. Early bird expressions of interest close end term 4, 2023 so register your interest now.