Our Cubicon Single was working OK for about a week and then it stopped.
The printer does an 8 step auto-bed level before every print, this means the bed is motorized, which is great!
However, for this to work the bed must be within certain tolerances and I guess ours was out.
During the 8 step level it would get to Step 5 (which was the Front of the build plate) and fail and return to trying Step 2. After it went in a loop a few times it failed saying: “Tilt align failed” (or “Tiltalign failed”)
We fixed it with a great deal of help from the Cubicon re-seller. I’m detailing the steps here to help anyone else in this position:
- During the 8 step process, write down the “z-axis” measurements it gets to at each point.
- Ours were:
- Left: -0.24mm
- Right: 0.19mm
- Back: 0.11mm
- Front: 0.09mm
- From these measurements we find that Right needed to be adjusted down and the Front needed to be adjusted up (this makes sense as left and right are related and front and back)
- Next remove the build plate:
- unplug the green plug at the back of the build plate
- cut the cable tie holding the green plate in place and unhook the cables
- remove the build plate by holding the back right corner and pulling up hard – note it is magnetic and requires a hefty pull
- Under the build plate now, locate the screws, see picture below – everything happens in #1.
- First use a spanner to loosen the nut (in our case in the Right and Front positions)
- Use a small allen key inside the nut you just loosened and adjust up or down
Makers Empire: Better learning by design
Makers Empire helps K-8 teachers teach STEM/STEAM concepts, design thinking principles and 21st century learning skills using 3D printing. Our pioneering 3D solutions for schools — 3D Learning Program and Learning by Design Course — include 3D modelling software, over 100 curriculum-aligned lesson plans and professional development. Makers Empire is used by thousands of teachers and hundreds of thousands of students in Australia, the USA, Asia and Europe. Join our community today!
- Be inspired and keep informed with our weekly newsletter.
- Buy online with a credit card or request a quotation.
- Test quality, suitability and ease of use with a free trial.