Following successful programs in Queensland in 2023, primary and junior secondary schools in the Toowomba region of Queensland are invited to register their interest to join a 2024 Advanced Manufacturing Future Skills School Program project to be based in Toowoomba.
STEM Advanced Manufacturing South West/Toowomba Future Skills School Program
Makers Empire in collaboration with the Department of Regional Development Manufacturing and Water, is delighted to share this Advanced Manufacturing Future Skills School Program that includes professional development days for teachers and student showcase events.
This program supports skills development in the Queensland Advanced Manufacturing industry, and aligns and supports the strategic objectives of the
- Queensland Advanced Manufacturing 10-Year Roadmap and Action Plan;
- The Skills Implementation Plan for Advanced Manufacturing;
- A Strategy for STEM in Queensland state schools;
- The National Stem School Education Strategy; and
- Australian Curriculum: Design and Technology and Australian Curriculum: Science.
What is the Project Scope?
Click the relevant program for your school. The 2024 program is likely to be similar to the 2023 program as below and include a new Junior secondary project:
- Students use design thinking processes to solve a school or community-based problem using 3D technologies
- Students become familiar with the advanced manufacturing industry including the role that 3D printing plays in the industry
- Teachers undertake industry immersion and future skills and career awareness days
- Teachers attend industry site tour
What Do Schools Receive?
Click the relevant program for your school. The 2024 program is likely to be similar to the 2023 program as below and include a new junior secondary project:
- At least 2 teachers (up to 5 per school) will participate in the Makers Empire ‘Learning by Design’ professional learning course (20 hours of professional learning).
- Teachers will attend 2 x industry immersion and future skills and career awareness days. One of these days will include an industry site tour.
- 3 year subscription to Makers Empire School Plan (3D design software, teacher dashboard, 130 curriculum aligned lesson plans, built-in assessment tools, online professional development, ongoing support, updates and maintenance).
- 3D printer bundle (3D printer, 3 rolls of PLA filament, support, shipping)
Total project participant value is $7,500 ex-gst per school
What Do Schools Commit To?
Click the relevant program for your school.
- Project duration – Term 3 to Term 4
- Project to start with teachers attending 2 x industry immersion and future skills and career awareness days. (maybe scheduled for late/end of Term 2). One of these days will include an industry site tour (schools cover TRT expenses).
- Term 3 – 4, teachers will design and teach a unit of work (solve a manufacturing problem) to address STEM and Australian Curriculum design and technology / science and technology syllabus.
- Term 4, week 7^ at project completion, teachers and students attend a Showcase Day
(schools arrange transport and cover TRT expenses).
- Participate in professional learning communities and online professional learning activities.
- Participate in data collection and share their learning experiences with others.
Register Your Expression of Interest Now
This project runs in term 3-4, 2024. Expressions of interest are due March 31st, 2024. Register your interest now.