Make: magazine recently did a comprehensive review of 26 different 3D printers.
It chose 10 printers as Standouts:
- Best in shootout print quality / overall winner: Ultimaker 2
- Thin wallet win: Printrbot Simple Metal
- Most maker machine: Lulzbot Taz 4
- Feature packed: Replicator 5th Generation
- Happy mediums: Zortrax and Ditto Pro
- Rookie of the year: BEE THE FIRST
- Smart software integration: Deltamaker
- Reliable performer: Afinia Up Plus 2 (a.k.a. Up Plus 2)
- Most upgradable: Ultimaker Original+
We’ve personally tested a number of these machines and have had the best overall experience with the Afinia/Up printers using ABS plastic (especially using the Zortrax filament).
Buy your copy of the Make: 42 Annual 3D Printing Guide.
Makers Empire: Better learning by design
Makers Empire helps K-8 teachers teach STEM/STEAM concepts, design thinking principles and 21st century learning skills using 3D printing. Our pioneering 3D solutions for schools — 3D Learning Program and Learning by Design Course — include 3D modelling software, over 100 curriculum-aligned lesson plans and professional development. Makers Empire is used by thousands of teachers and hundreds of thousands of students in Australia, the USA, Asia and Europe. Join our community today!
- Be inspired and keep informed with our weekly newsletter.
- Buy online with a credit card or request a quotation.
- Test quality, suitability and ease of use with a free trial.