We’ve recently been monitoring the way Design and Technology curricula have been changing around the world. Now we’ve created the Makers Empire Design Curriculum for our global community of educators.
The Makers Empire Design Curriculum describes the development of skills, knowledge and understandings across K-6 so you know what your students are learning, how they are going to be learning it, and what international design curriculum you’ll be covering.
The aims of the Makers Empire Design Curriculum are that students:
- develop confidence as designers and problem solvers;
- use design thinking processes to generate and communicate design ideas;
- produce designed solutions suitable for a range of technologies contexts by selecting and manipulating a range of materials, systems, components, tools and equipment creatively, competently and safely; and managing processes;
- evaluate processes and designed solutions and transfer knowledge and skills to new situations;
- become competent users of 3D design and 3D printing;
- develop spatial awareness; and
- understand how technology is and can be used to develop designed solutions in real-world contexts and for a range of users.
Mandi Dimitriadis, Director of Learning at Makers Empire says, “I’m really proud of the Makers Empire Design Curriculum because it draws from the best design technology and engineering curricula from around the world and shows how Makers Empire can be used as a powerful learning tool. Our curriculum can support teachers with their planning and give them confidence that they are providing learning experiences that will enable their students to become effective problem solvers, design thinkers and creative innovators.”
The Makers Empire Design curriculum is aligned to and based on design and technology, and engineering curricula from around the world including:
- The Australian Curriculum: Technologies, Design and Technologies;
- The NSW Syllabus: Science K-10 (incorporating Science and Technology K6);
- Victorian Curriculum: Technologies, Design and Technologies;
- Next Generation Science Standards: Engineering Design (US); and
- ISTE Standards for Students: Innovative Designer.
The Makers Empire Design Curriculum has six content strands:
- Technology Applications;
- Generating Ideas;
- Prototyping and Modelling;
- Testing and Evaluating; and
- Planning and Managing.
The 6 content strands include skills, knowledge and understandings that develop across 3 bands: K-2, 3-4, and 5-6. Download the Makers_Empire_Curriculum:_July_2019.
We will also be launching a complementary 3D printing and 3D design rubric later this month to help teachers with their marking and grading of student’s design work using Makers Empire.
Makers Empire: Better learning by design
Makers Empire helps K-8 teachers teach Design Thinking, STEM and 21st-century learning skills using 3D printing. Our pioneering 3D solutions for schools include 3D modelling software, over 150 lesson plans aligned with international standards and professional development. With Makers Empire, engaged students learn how to solve real-world problems and make their world better.