What you’re going to be disappointed about
- Printing is currently slow – an object the size of a golf ball is likely to take 30 minutes to print out.
- You CAN print out multiple objects at a time and leave them to print over night – the main limitation is the size of the build plate.
- Realistically students are likely to receive 1 to 3 prints per year.
- Consumer/education printers (<$10,000) can generally print in 1 or 2 colors only (you can order full color prints through the bureau services)
- The print quality will be worse than a molded plastic object from Ikea
- Failed prints and printer break down/jams
- Some percentage of your prints will fail (even the best printers will fail 1 in 20 times at best)
- Your printer will jam and you will need to fix it – this takes time
Think of 3D printers like computing in the 1980’s/90’s – it is changing very rapidly.
Almost every week new 3D printers are being released and things are getting better but there are still issues.
One alternative to buying your school a 3D printer is to start with a print bureau service.
Makers Empire: Better learning by design
Makers Empire helps K-8 teachers teach STEM/STEAM concepts, design thinking principles and 21st century learning skills using 3D printing. Our pioneering 3D solutions for schools — 3D Learning Program and Learning by Design Course — include 3D modelling software, over 100 curriculum-aligned lesson plans and professional development. Makers Empire is used by thousands of teachers and hundreds of thousands of students in Australia, the USA, Asia and Europe. Join our community today!
- Ideal for those ready to make a decision about Makers Empire's suitablity for their individual school. For district deals, please choose Book Demo.
- Ideal for those looking at budget planning and implementation, those who want to learn if Makers Empire is a good fit and those who have lots of questions.
- Ideal for those who are short on time and those wanting to learn more about integrating 3D design and printing into the K-8 classroom.